Go to content

Playscapes for learning, health and relationships in ECEC


The programme is based on an understanding of children that emphasizes children’s participation and children’s competences, a societal view that emphasizes responsibility for the environment and sustainable development, and a view on culture that embraces both cultural heritage and cultural criticism.

Playscapes for learning, health and relationships in ECEC

Course content

The programme is a comparative, theoretical and practical approach to early childhood education with focus on risky play and outdoor life in early childhood settings. The programme provides experiences, insight and knowledge about everyday life in Norwegian early childhood education and care institutions. Simultaneously the students will be introduced to the Nordic view on play and learning, the close relationship to nature, as well as children’s rights to participation.

The course “Playscapes for learning, health and relationships in ECEC” can only be taken as part of the 30 ECTS programme "Outdoor Play and Learning in Norwegian Early Childhood Education".

Working and learning activities

The programme is part of a professional education where theory and practice form two equal sources of knowledge which are inter-related. The programme is a platform for a reflexive meeting between theoretical subject knowledge, practical skills and professionalism, and the three areas of competence should be seen as a holistic unit.

Student participation
All teaching and practical training throughout the programme is compulsory. In order to have the various parts of the course approved and to take the final exam, the students have to fulfill all compulsory assignments. The requirement of mandatory attendance included.

Specifically for NECEC 2201: Part of the course will be a practical project developing/remodeling the outdoor space in an ECEC institution. The students’ written assignment/exam will be based on this project.

Study period 2023/2024

The course lasts for a full semester. 

Study periods:

Spring semester: 07/02/2024 - 07/06/2024

Study plan

NECEC2201 Playscapes for learning, health and relationships in ECEC

Visa and Insurance

Residence permit
There are different rules about what to document, how to apply for residence permit and how to register with the police depending on which country you are from. Choose the right category below, to find information that applies to you.

EU/EEA citizens:
As an EU/EEA citizen you do not need a residence permit since they have the right of residence in Norway. If you are planning to stay longer than 90 days you have to register with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration online at the Application Portal Norway and schedule an appointment with the police to receive your residence card. Please book this appointment as early as possible after arrival date.

You must have applied prior to your arrival in Trondheim to be granted permission of residence more than 3 months (one day more than 90 days is more than 3 months). You need to bring your passport and other relevant documents to show that you are an EU citizen.

Non-EU/EEA citizens:
Citizens from outside the Schengen area have to apply for a Tourist Visa/Visitor’s visa (up to 90 days) or a Residence Permit (more than 90 days) from their country of residence. List of Norwegian embassies/consulates.

All non-EU/EEA students must submit documentation that they have sufficient funds to cover living expenses, approximately NOK 61 760 NOK for one semester (2020 rate). We refer you to Norwegian Directorate of Immigration’s webpage for required documents. UDI charges an application fee of NOK 4 900 (2020 rate). Attached to the application, you should also include the Letter of Admission from QMUC to your application. International exchange students have housing guarantee, and this information is included in the Letter of Admission.

Remember to make sure that you have a passport and that it is valid during the time of your stay. If you have to apply for a new one or make changes or updates, do it as soon as possible.
Health insurance

EU/EEA citizens: 
If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you must bring either the European Health Insurance Card (ec.europa.eu) or documentation of private health insurance when you enter Norway.

If you have private health insurance, please clarify with your insurance office whether your coverage applies to Norway. We strongly recommend a travel insurance in addition. 

Non-EU citizens:
Students staying in Norway for more than 3 months can become members of the National Insurance Scheme (nav.no).

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance to cover their stay in Norway or until they have become a member of the National insurance Scheme. 

Please note that this membership means "coverage under the health section". If you should get ill and need medical treatment, the insurance will cover this within Norway, but not in another European country. 

During your stay in Norway you will get free medical treatment, apart from a minor fee. The Norwegian National Health Scheme does not cover dentists' fees or opticians.

Other insurances
It is the student's own responsibility to make private insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property (cameras, stereo, personal computer etc) resulting from, or in any way connected with, the study period in Norway. You should therefore consider whether you need a private/group travel/accident insurance policy. Check with your insurance office that your policy gives 24 hour cover and is valid for trips outside Norway during your stay (even for a few days).

Questions about the course?

Trond Løge Hagen
Associate Professor Trond Løge Hagen tlh@dmmh.notlf: 73 80 52 92
Rasmus Kolseth Rian
Senior Advisor/International Coordinator Rasmus Kolseth Rian international@dmmh.notlf: 73 80 52 20