Go to content

Workshop in Arts Studies (MA level)

1 semester, autumn 2023

The course provides theoretical teaching in the chosen subject area’s history, didactics and substance. Teaching sessions are organized in groups based on the students’ subject area from their bachelor’s degree, which also will be the base for the individual student´s subject area in this course.

Workshop in Arts Studies (MA level)

Working and learning activities

Individual, creative work in art workshops. The students will be given supervision and lectures related to this work. The students will give and receive feedback on their own and other’s work, both theoretically and practically.

Course content

The teaching will first and foremost be practical and give the students individual mentoring and supervision in groups based on their independent creative artistic work in workshops, on theatre stages / black boxes, during their writing processes and during their performing musical processes.

The course gives the student the opportunity to work within his/her chosen subject area based on their bachelor’s degree, for example:

  • Art, culture and creativity / interdisciplinary and multimodal specialization (“KKK”, which is included in the Early Childhood Teacher Education in Norway): Specialization in interdisciplinary and multimodal expressions.
  • Drama: Specialization in children’s theatre, drama, play or performance.
  • Arts and crafts: Specialization in visual art workshop activities using chosen materials and techniques.
  • Music: Specialization in music performance, using instruments and voice.
  • Literature: Specialization in literature, text and creation of images for children.
    If there are less than five students in a group, alternative teaching forms and organizations of groups may be chosen.
The course includes a creative piece of work of the students’ own choice within their chosen subject area. Teaching in group and individual supervision will be provided.

The students work independently and creatively with instruments, body, movement and voice, in workshops with materials and tools, in different spaces, on stage and/or with texts, sounds and images.

The chosen individual, creative piece of work may be used as a preliminary work for the master’s thesis.

Admission requirements

  • Early Childhood Teacher Education, bachelor’s degree, with a specialization related to arts and culture (a total of 60 ECTS credits within arts and culture)
  • Bachelor’s degree as pedagogue/educator, including 60 ECTS credits within arts and culture
  • Bachelor’s degree in music, arts and crafts or drama/literature, including a one-year programme in educational theory and practice
    The average grade of the bachelor’s degree and the chosen subject area must be C or better, cf. the Norwegian grading system, or equivalent.
    Recommended previous knowledge: Work experience related to children and the arts.


The course lasts for 13 weeks (3 months). The teaching is organised in three sessions during the semester, each lasting a week.

The course constitutes one part of the Master's Degree Programme in Child Culture and Arts Education. This programmes is running every second year (odd-numbered years). 

Study plan

MKKSF4010 Workshop in Arts Studies

Visa and Insurance

Residence permit
There are different rules about what to document, how to apply for residence permit and how to register with the police depending on which country you are from. Choose the right category below, to find information that applies to you.

EU/EEA citizens:
As an EU/EEA citizen you do not need a residence permit since they have the right of residence in Norway. If you are planning to stay longer than 90 days you have to register with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration online at the Application Portal Norway and schedule an appointment with the police to receive your residence card. Please book this appointment as early as possible after arrival date.

You must have applied prior to your arrival in Trondheim to be granted permission of residence more than 3 months (one day more than 90 days is more than 3 months). You need to bring your passport and other relevant documents to show that you are an EU citizen.

Non-EU/EEA citizens:
Citizens from outside the Schengen area have to apply for a Tourist Visa/Visitor’s visa (up to 90 days) or a Residence Permit (more than 90 days) from their country of residence. List of Norwegian embassies/consulates.

All non-EU/EEA students must submit documentation that they have sufficient funds to cover living expenses, approximately NOK 61 760 NOK for one semester (2020 rate). We refer you to Norwegian Directorate of Immigration’s webpage for required documents. UDI charges an application fee of NOK 4 900 (2020 rate). Attached to the application, you should also include the Letter of Admission from QMUC to your application. International exchange students have housing guarantee, and this information is included in the Letter of Admission.

Remember to make sure that you have a passport and that it is valid during the time of your stay. If you have to apply for a new one or make changes or updates, do it as soon as possible.
Health insurance

EU/EEA citizens: 
If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you must bring either the European Health Insurance Card (ec.europa.eu) or documentation of private health insurance when you enter Norway.

If you have private health insurance, please clarify with your insurance office whether your coverage applies to Norway. We strongly recommend a travel insurance in addition. 

Non-EU citizens:
Students staying in Norway for more than 3 months can become members of the National Insurance Scheme (nav.no).

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance to cover their stay in Norway or until they have become a member of the National insurance Scheme. 

Please note that this membership means "coverage under the health section". If you should get ill and need medical treatment, the insurance will cover this within Norway, but not in another European country. 

During your stay in Norway you will get free medical treatment, apart from a minor fee. The Norwegian National Health Scheme does not cover dentists' fees or opticians.

Other insurances
It is the student's own responsibility to make private insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property (cameras, stereo, personal computer etc) resulting from, or in any way connected with, the study period in Norway. You should therefore consider whether you need a private/group travel/accident insurance policy. Check with your insurance office that your policy gives 24 hour cover and is valid for trips outside Norway during your stay (even for a few days).

Reading list

Workshop in Arts Studies 2019

Questions about the course?

Jørgen Moe
Associate Professor Jørgen Moe jmo@dmmh.notlf: 73 80 52 08
Rasmus Kolseth Rian
Senior Advisor/International Coordinator Rasmus Kolseth Rian international@dmmh.notlf: 73 80 52 20