Go to content

Visa and other practical requirements

Residence permit

All foreign students who are to stay in Norway for more than three months must have a residence permit.  When issued, this permit is stamped in students' passports at the Alien's Office, Trondheim Police Station. This must be done within the first seven days after arrival in Norway.

The application form for a residence permit can be obtained from the Norwegian Embassy or Consulate in your home country, and should also be returned there (it may take as long as three months to get an answer).

List of Norwegian embassies/consulates.

Entry visa

Citizens outside the EU/EEA member states need a Visitor's Visa for entry to Norway on an exchange programmes lasting up to 90 days.

When applying for a Visitor's Visa you must enclose the letter of acceptance from QMUC, with an attestation that QMUC is responsible for accommodation with your application form. All exchange students are advised to apply for residence permit as soon as they have received the letter of acceptance from QMUC, and their funding is confirmed.

EU/EEA citizens do not need a residence permit/Visitor's Visa for less than 90 days, since they have the right of residence in Norway.

Students who are planning to stay longer than 90 days have to register with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration online at the Application Portal Norway.  You must have done this before your arrival in Trondheim to be granted permission of residence for more than 3 months (one day more than 90 days is more than 3 months). You need to bring your passport and other relevant documents to show that you are an EU citizen.

With this application the student must have:
  • E111/E128  (Health Insurance Form)
  • Letter of acceptance
  • Documentation of finances

Students from EU/EFTA countries who plan to stay in Norway for a period of less than three months, and students from the other Nordic countries, do not need a residence permit.


Remember to make sure that you have a passport and that it is valid during the time of your stay. If you have to apply for a new one or make changes or updates, do it as soon as possible.

Health insurance

Social security (E111/E128) EU and EEA citizens must, before going to Norway, obtain the health insurance form E 111 (for stays less than 12 months and which is intended mostly emergency care) or an E128, which ensures more extensive coverage. This will enable you to be a part of the Norwegian National Health Scheme. 

All exchange students should check with your local welfare/social security agency about what coverage you have.

American, NORAD and Quota students can apply for membership in the National Insurance Scheme at the welfare office (NAV) in Trondheim, on arrival.

During your stay in Norway you will get free medical treatment, apart from a minor fee. The Norwegian National Health Scheme does not cover dentists' fees or opticians.

Other insurances

While in Norway you are covered by the same insurance as Norwegian students.

In addition to that it is the student's own responsibility to make private insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property (cameras, stereo, personal computer etc) resulting from, or in any way connected with, the study period in Norway. You should therefore consider whether you need a private/group travel/accident insurance policy. Check with your insurance office that your policy gives 24 hour cover and is valid for trips outside Norway during your stay (even for a few days).